Monday, April 25, 2011

featured artist and guest blogger Polly Chandler!

photo by Jonathon Edwards
I'll try *real* hard not to gush.  Polly Chandler is amongst my favorite artists, and never ceases to stun me with her brilliant photographs.

She was kind enough to write a few words about her experience in the photographic world.  I so love her:

"I received my Masters in Communication & Media Arts, Specializing in Fine Art Photography at SIU in 2004. But once I graduated it was up to me to continue learning and practicing, which I do on a daily basis: by looking at other photographers' work, sketching ideas and actually shooting, even if it's just with my point & shoot. It's all going to keep the creative mind 'fit'."
"I've worked many jobs that are photo-related, including photo-labs, weddings, editorial and as a Staff Photographer for the Texas House of Representatives for 4 years. I'm currently teaching photography at the Art Institute of Austin. But primarily I am a “fine art photographer”.

I mostly use a Large Format 4x5 Toyo 45CX camera although I often shoot medium format film with my Mamiya RB67 and, yes, I also shoot digitally with my Canon 5D. Believe it or not, I've been using my iphone to shoot little things I see. Film is my first love and I will use it until it's obsolete."
 "I think you should know the technology, the 'craft', the history and 'the rules'. Once you know all of these things, then you can make your own artistic decisions ('break' the rules). Also, shoot, shoot, shoot. And then shoot some more!

Always be practicing and making photographs, it's how you'll get better and continue to grow as a photographer."
"If photography is your passion, and you are in love with it, then doing it will be something like feeding a craving. A natural high. My suggestion is to listen to that passion and continue to ask yourself how you can improve as a photographer. Also, as I said earlier; shoot, shoot, and shoot some more! Practice, feedback from your peers, instructors and mentors is what will help you "grow" and just don't ever stop pushing yourself."

--Polly 

check out more of her work at pollychandler.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment